In the system
According to the 2013 Ontario Incidence Study of Reported Abuse and Neglect, the numbers of children likely to be investigated as possible victims of child abuse or neglect compared to white children:
- Aboriginal children
- 130% more likely to be investigated
- 15% more likely to have maltreatment confirmed
- 168% more likely to be taken from their homes and placed into care
- Black children
- 40% more likely to be investigated
- 18% more likely to have maltreatment confirmed
- 13% more likely to be taken from their homes and placed into care
The connection to poverty
Children at risk are usually from poor families, where families struggle with lack of:
- affordable housing
How Legal Aid Ontario can help
|Before court papers are served||In family court|
When children’s aid starts looking into your home life, asking questions and wanting to perform a home inspection.
Clients can get advice or help with:
Client can choose a legal aid lawyer, who will provide up to 10 hours of legal advice and negotiation.
A legal aid lawyer can represent you in court with:
For more information
Call us toll-free at 1-800-668-8258. If possible, have the following available:
- all papers you have received from children’s aid, the courts, or the police
- all agreements you have signed or have been asked to sign
- information about whether you have hired a lawyer
Chantal Lavergne, Sarah Dufour, Nico Trocmé, and Marie-Claude Larrivée. “Visible Minority, Aboriginal and Caucasian Children Investigated by Canadian Protective Services.” 2008.
Toronto Star. “CAS study reveals stark racial disparities for blacks, aboriginals.” 2016
Toronto Star. “Ontario children’s aid societies agree to collect race data.” 2016
Fallon, B., Van Wert, M., Trocmé, N., MacLaurin, B., Sinha, V., Lefebvre, R., Allan, K., Black, T., Lee, B., Rha, W., Smith, C., & Goel, Ontario Incidence Study of Reported Child Abuse and Neglect.” 2013.
Children’s Aid Society of Toronto. “Addressing disproportionality, disparity and discrimination in child welfare.” July 2015