Infographic: The information you need when applying for legal aid

Click on the image for a PDF version of the infographic
Text by Diane Morrison
Design by Scot Clarke

Before you can get legal aid help, there are two important questions that need to be answered:

  1. Is your legal problem one that Legal Aid Ontario can help you with?
  2. How much money do you earn and what assets do you have?

Visit us at to find out if your legal problem and your income meet the conditions for you to apply for legal aid.

What you need before you call

  1. If you are getting income from one of the following, have a copy of your most recent cheque stub:

    • Ontario Works
    • Ontario Disability Support Program
    • Employment Insurance
    • Workers’ Compensation
    • Canada Pension Plan
    • Old Age Security
    • Private pension plan
  2. If you are working, have paycheque stubs/ or a letter from your employer that states your gross income.

  3. Documents showing any assets you have, such as bank statements, RRSPs and GICs.

  4. Proof of debt payments

Depending on the type of legal problem you have, you should also be able to tell us:

Family law

  • about any court order you have, the date of your most recent court order and where it was done – city/province/country
  • about any written agreements you have
  • about any forms you have been served
  • if you are filing a motion to change
  • if you are attending a default hearing to explain why you are behind on your support payments. If you are, have at least three years of notices of assessment

Criminal law

  • about any papers the police or anyone else gave you relating to your charge
  • about any other matters that you have, including charges in other locations, probation conditions or orders

Refugee/immigration law

  • if you need an interpreter
  • about your basis of claim form if you have filed one
  • when you entered Canada
  • if you made an inland claim or a port of entry claim
  • if you or a family member has ever applied for legal aid
  • which country you are originally from
  • if there is a reason you need protection
  • if you are currently being held at an immigration holding centre
  • if you have filed a refugee claim and if so, when the claim was filed
  • your status in Canada (i.e. refugee, student, visitor, landed immigrant)
  • if you have a hearing scheduled
  • the type of immigration issue you have

How to apply

Call us toll-free at 1-800-668-8258

TTY 1-866-641-8867

Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

We offer a call-back option where you can leave your number. If you miss our first call-back, we will call you two more times within two hours to try to reach you.

Connect with a legal aid worker at one of our courthouse offices.

If you’re in jail, tell the correctional officer that you want to apply. If video applications are available, you can be scheduled for a video interview.

If you’re in a psychiatric facility, tell the rights advisor and/or patient advocate in the facility where you are admitted or receiving treatment that you want to apply for legal aid.

For more information

Visit our website to find out more about eligibility guidelines, services offered, and the areas of law we cover.